As a professional dancer and choreographer, I know the trials and tribulations of maintaining optimum health and fitness. It can be the most frustrating thing in the world to be unable to do, pain-free, what used to be effortless. Knowing this battle of body maintenance and fending off injury, and having - throughout my career in dance and in my wider experience of illness and dysfunction - seen the benefits of massage in rehabilitating and preventing injury and reducing symptoms and pain, I sought to train in Sports And Remedial Massage Therapy at the highly regarded North London School of Sports Massage (NLSSM).
I work with runners, cyclists, field athletes, dancers, aerial artists, actors, puppeteers, musicians, singers, arthritis sufferers and those simply wanting to reduce stress levels and offer their body a regular dose of care and attention for their overall improved well-being.
Soft Tissue Therapy can help in a multitude of contexts and can be of great benefit to a lot of people!
Just some of the ways in which sports and remedial massage could benefit you:
- Preparation for competitions, events and performances
- Pre- and post-event treatments
- Rehabilitation from injury
- Prevention of injury and body maintenance throughout training
- Optimising sporting/athletic performance
- Post-surgery recovery and rehabilitation
- Addressing postural and bio-mechanical dysfunction
- Stress relief and reduction in anxiety
- Restoring and developing proprioception
- Restoring range of motion and flexibility
- Improvement to lymphatic system and fluid exchange
- Aiding digestive complaints
- Pain relief and management
- Optimising health of soft tissue and the musculoskeletal system
- Reducing symptoms of arthritis
- Rebalancing of sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems
Every good soft tissue therapist will listen carefully to your needs and reasons for seeking treatment - they vary a lot! There is no one-size-fits-all way to manage a specific complaint, injury, condition or dysfunction. In order to tailor your treatment to suit your goals, treatment includes a range of assessment and planning, including appropriate home care advice and exercises to help you continue improvement and maintain the benefits of treatment beyond the clinic.